nomad
Jul 19, 2011
in Crossing the USA 2011 - Route…

On the Lift
 nomad
Apr 17, 2011
in 2010 Sturgis/Crossing Country…

P5211229
A guy rode past me on a 1923 Indian Scout at Santa Barbara.  I had to stop & have a chat.  Original paint.
 micky.rat
May 21, 2012
in US Bike Trip

DSCN1242
 HDfan
Oct 20, 2012
in Biketoberfe­st 2012

Welcome Guest!

Welcome and thanks for visiting Harley Davidson and V-twin Forums, a dedicated site for all Harley Davidson motorcycle enthusiastic riders,

We are working very hard to bring this site to all riders, who love to ride the world most famous motorcycles:  Harley Davidson!

You will enjoy many selected features that will give you all bells and whistles as in any commercial sites.
Sign up, and upload your photos to your own photo album that is NOT limited size (dimension and file) of your photos as many other commercial forums do. You will see new stunning, high quality photos that re-digitized by our photo album software.  We rule our forum based on our U.S. constitution!

In the meantime,
you are currently viewing our forum in guest mode, which gives you the limited access to many features, such as view attached image, post reply, upload photo to your own photo album, create a poll, send private message (PM) to other members, and many more. Registration is free, and it takes only a minute.
You registration is really appreciated!
Please login, or click here to register.

Author Topic: Remove/Install Front Fairing, and Adjust the Handlebar  (Read 10073 times)

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
  • Casual Rider
  • Bike Year/Model: 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
This turn out an easy task, even though, it is time consuming.  At least to the first timer like me.
I still like to record the process for those who don't have mechanical knowledge like me.  I guess, thinking of the money that I have to pay to the stealer have pushed me to do this.

The result:  I am very happy that I now have a better reach, and more comfortable on my arms.

So here is the process.

Required Tools
  • A motorcycle/ATV lift.  It doesn't what type, you need one, because you will work on your bike for many more projects.  I prefer ATV lift, because it usually has a greater lift load.  Buy a set of frame protectors (orange color) from HD, so you don't damage your beautiful bike frame, and prevent corrosion from scratches.
  • Torx wrenches
  • Allen Wrenches
  • One (1) large towel, and two (2) long socks
  • Service manual.  Even though, you may not not need it in this task.
Step by Step.  Here we go!

• Put the bike and balance on the lift.  You only need to lift the front wheel barely off the ground, and that's it!
  • Remove the left saddle bag, then the left cover, so you can disconnect the main fuse (big red fuse.  you can not miss it). If you have a HD add-on security system, and the siren may go off as soon as you disconnect the main fuse.  In this case, turn the ignition knob to "Ignition", wait for a few seconds, then remove the main fuse.  You now can turn ignition knob to "off" position.  Remember to have the FOB with you all the time, during the process.
  • Cover the front fender with the large towel, and the two parsing lamps with the two (2) long socks.
    Click image to enlarge
  • Remove two (2) torx screws, which are located just slightly low right of the speaker, at both sides.  Com'on you can find it  You don't need to remove any wind deflectors, and/or any lower fairing.  Take your time.
      Click image to enlarge
  • Remove the two (2) torx screws, which are located, kinda hidden, behind the forks.  Turn the handle bar all the way left to see one, and all the way right to see the other.  They are there alone, so you cannot be mistaken.

Click image to enlarge
  • There are three (3) torx screws that hold the windshield.  Of course, you can see it without a manual. :) Remove the two (2) outside first, then loosen the middle screw, and you will be able to remove the windshield straight up. Put the windshield in a safe place, and remove the middle screw.
  • Don't worry that the fairing will drop down on the fender.  No way that will happen as many guys have been threatening you. :)
  • Disconnect the headlight connector to free fairing from the bike.
To be continued...
2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

The World is a book and for those who do not travel read only a page!
(Saint Augustine)

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
  • Casual Rider
Re: Remove/Install Front Fairing, and Adjust the Handlebar
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:31:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • 8.  Remove this screw that attaches the CB to the CD player, unscrew the CB antenna, and disconnect the plug as shown in the below photo.  Pull the CB toward you to remove it, and set aside.
      Click image to enlarge
    9.  Flip up the latch as seen in the below photo, and disconnect both large connectors on the rear of the CD player/Radio unit.

10.  Disconnect the radio antenna.
    Here is how it look like at the rear of the CD player after all the connectors are disconnected.

11,  Remove the four (4) hex screws (two on each side) on the side of the CD player/Radio unit.

12.  Disconnect this connector.

13.  Use both hands to wiggle the CD player/radio unit up and down a little bit, then pull toward you about two (2) inches.
    14.  Front the front panel, you can see the two (2) hex screws that hold the handle bar; loose these two screws, and adjust the handle bar to your comfort position.
    Take your time, because you don't want to scratch the front plastic panel.

Re-installation:  Reverse order.  When I say reverse order, I am really meaning it.

Any questions/comments?  Ask away. :)

That's it!  Ready for the next project!

(Saint Augustine)

Offline sbmiller4

• Stopping By
    • Roaming America Rider
    • Bike Year/Model: 2010 / Electra Glide Ultra Limited
    « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  •  :thanks: I need to get in the fairing to plug my XM antenna to the GPS harness. This saves me time and money.

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
    • Casual Rider
    « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 03:53:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • :thanks: I need to get in the fairing to plug my XM antenna to the GPS harness. This saves me time and money.
    Welcome to the group.
    I believe you will have no problem to do this part.
    If you need help, I'll try my best. :)
    Nick

(Saint Augustine)

HDvTwinForums On FaceBook

Please "like" us on facebook
    Thanks

* Members' Areas

Hey Guys and Gals!
    Add your location to
    "Member Map"

Biketoberfest 2012  (New) posted by HDfan

Daytona Bike Week 2012
    - Custom Bike Madness - posted by Nomad

Free Coupons - (members only).