nomad
Aug 10, 2011
in Crossing the USA 2011 - Route…

Route 66 - Chicago
 nomad
Jul 19, 2011
in Crossing the USA 2011 - Route…

Welcome Guest!

Welcome and thanks for visiting Harley Davidson and V-twin Forums, a dedicated site for all Harley Davidson motorcycle enthusiastic riders,

We are working very hard to bring this site to all riders, who love to ride the world most famous motorcycles:  Harley Davidson!

You will enjoy many selected features that will give you all bells and whistles as in any commercial sites.
Sign up, and upload your photos to your own photo album that is NOT limited size (dimension and file) of your photos as many other commercial forums do. You will see new stunning, high quality photos that re-digitized by our photo album software.  We rule our forum based on our U.S. constitution!

In the meantime,
you are currently viewing our forum in guest mode, which gives you the limited access to many features, such as view attached image, post reply, upload photo to your own photo album, create a poll, send private message (PM) to other members, and many more. Registration is free, and it takes only a minute.
You registration is really appreciated!
Please login, or click here to register.

Author Topic: softail running poorly  (Read 3437 times)

Offline ktcharger

• Stopping By
  • Roaming America Rider
  • Bike Year/Model: 2005 hd softail standard efi
softail running poorly
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:31:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • need info bought bike from dealer said they would fill with gas after pushing bike 1/2 a mile then found out gas guage stuck on full(plus i never checked it dummie)that was my first ride so i dont know how it is suppose to run,since then it seems to run on 1 and half cylinders sometime,i fix fuel guage float was rubbing inside of tank,i blew out and clean everthing in tank ,pump,strainer lines,put fresh gas and went for a drive,i had lots of power and even started better but after 10 miles or so it seemed to go back to running in my mind poorly,it also seems to surge or feel like power pulses when you drive steady at 40 miles an hour,this is my first harley so i dont know what it is suppose to be like,makes me want my shadow back,does any body have any good tech info that would help thanks

Offline HDTechGuy

• Starter
    • Roaming America Rider
    Re: softail running poorly
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:14:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • As you have described, and this bike is 2005, so I don't know the current condition of the bike.  it can be any reasons, but I would look for cleaning the air-filter, replace the fuel filter, check for sparkplugs (gap) condition, replace them if needed. Remember, it can be electrical issue, too, but hopefully, it just a simple error. ;D

If you don't have a service manual for your bike, and you are in luck. We have one on line for you.  Check the Softtail section, or tech articles.

I know it is frustrated to switch from a Jap bike to a Harley, but this is a used bike, and you may have to expect a little here and there that needs to be tuned and upgraded.  It can happen to any bike, not just a Harley! :)
    Most people switch to Harley with a brand new bike, so it is easier to adapt to a new "world".
    Be patient and you will love it for a long, long time.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BTW. This post will be better to move to Soft-tail section to have more expose.

Offline lytle1gw

• Starter
    • Roaming America Rider
    • Bike Year/Model: Electra Glide standard FLHTI
    Re: softail running poorly
    « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • Is this one fuel injected?
    gary

HDvTwinForums On FaceBook

Please "like" us on facebook