nomad
Aug 11, 2011
in Crossing the USA 2011 - Route…

DSCN0982
 nomad
Sep 16, 2011
in Key West Poker Run 2011

Welcome Guest!

Welcome and thanks for visiting Harley Davidson and V-twin Forums, a dedicated site for all Harley Davidson motorcycle enthusiastic riders,

We are working very hard to bring this site to all riders, who love to ride the world most famous motorcycles:  Harley Davidson!

You will enjoy many selected features that will give you all bells and whistles as in any commercial sites.
Sign up, and upload your photos to your own photo album that is NOT limited size (dimension and file) of your photos as many other commercial forums do. You will see new stunning, high quality photos that re-digitized by our photo album software.  We rule our forum based on our U.S. constitution!

In the meantime,
you are currently viewing our forum in guest mode, which gives you the limited access to many features, such as view attached image, post reply, upload photo to your own photo album, create a poll, send private message (PM) to other members, and many more. Registration is free, and it takes only a minute.
You registration is really appreciated!
Please login, or click here to register.

Author Topic: Fuel Filter Replacement with pictures - 2010 Ultra Limited  (Read 6588 times)

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
  • Casual Rider
  • Bike Year/Model: 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
Note: Image may not show to unregistered users

It's time to do some maintenance, and the fuel filter had the highest priority on my list.  My bike was a little bit over 25K, and I really did not feel good to keep riding it any longer.  After hours of research for the information of how to replace the filter, I decided to do it today, and below is the "pain" that I've struggled for almost an hour.  Again, this is my first time, and I have found that I can do it less than 15 minutes in the next time. :)
I took these pictures for my own record and for those, who may want to do-it-yourself.  Interestingly, I found that many steps are not required to do as the service manual, and many posts in the other forums have complicated the task.  It is simple, but in few steps, a second hand will be helpful!
Note:  Use this information on your own risk, because everyone has different skills, and extra steps may be performed on each bike.  Ex.: Remove the whole fuel cell out of the tank may require for inspection of damages.  Enough warning! :)

Here we go!

Of course, having a FOB with you!  Click on any image to enlarge.
  • Remove the seat, and remove the left saddlebag, and the left side panel.  You don't have to have a lift, and you also don't have to empty the fuel tank for this procedure.
  • Turn the ignition switch to "ON", then remove the main fuse (only for bikes that have the alarm system). Switch the switch back to "OFF" top disarm the bike.
  • Turn the handlebar all the way to the right, and remove two screws that hold the console (tank cover), and disconnect the connector as shown below.

• Disconnect the main fuel line as shown below.

• Use a piece of PVC tubing and a rubber mallet to hammer one of the four arms of the cam ring.  A couple good hits will unlock the cam ring easily.  Remember to put a soft towel below the PVC to prevent scratching the tank.Note the "top" sign on the cam ring (see pic in step 16).
    Before

After

I don't see any reason why we have waste money for a tool, but this is a personal choice.  Remove the cam ring. Do not remove the fuel cap.
  • Use a soft towel dampened with alcohol to clean thoroughly all the dirt on the top of the top plate, and all the adjacent areas.  Blow all the dirt with a high air compressor if available.  You don't want any articles enter the fuel tank.
  • Place a soft towel on the top of the tank, around the top plate, and wiggle the top plate while pulling it up.  I suggest gently sliding a small flat head screw driver underneath the guided tab, and use both hands to pull it up for a good start.  You can use a flat screw driver to gently pry in several places around the top plate.  Remember to protect the tank with a soft towel.
  • Use a small flat head screw driver to press on the blade (yellow arrow) of the ground wire terminal, and gently pull the wire to disconnect the wire from the connector.  See the below photo.
  • Here is the tricky step.  Wiggle the top plate to move the filter canister out of the tank as shown below.

• Use a flat head screw driver gently prying the U-clip out of its place.  Make sure the secure tab not to stop the I-clip from removal, AND do not damage the filter container body (white plastic part).

• Replace the old filter with a new filter.  Do not press hard on the new filter.
  • Check the O-ring inside the fuel filter housing for any damage.  Replace if needed.  A new O-ring is always provided with a new filter.  I didn't change mine as the old one is still good.
  • Re-plug the ground connector.  Make sure the connector blade locks to the terminal.
  • Press firmly on the fuel filter locking arm, while pushing the U-clip into the two holes at both sides of the fuel filter cell.
  • Re-install the top plate; make sure the top place seated flat in its place.
  • Note the "top" sign on the cam ring.  Again, using the PVC tubing and the rubber mallet to tighten the cam ring; make sure all four cam ring arms are secured tightly in all four slots.

• Reinstall the rest.  It is easy now, so there is no need any further instruction.
There you go!
2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

The World is a book and for those who do not travel read only a page!
(Saint Augustine)

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
  • Casual Rider
Re: Fuel Filter Replacement - 2010 Ultra Limited
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • Update!
    I took a 30 mile ride, and there was no leak, and the bike is running fine!
    Now, I feel better. :)

(Saint Augustine)

Offline lytle1gw

• Starter
    • Roaming America Rider
    • Bike Year/Model: Electra Glide standard FLHTI
    Re: Fuel Filter Replacement with pictures - 2010 Ultra Limited
    « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 02:57:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • I have 75k on my glide and haven't even considered replacing the filter, always make sure your getting good fuel always out of pump none out of gas can unless its mine.
    Anyway if its not broke don't mess with it is the way I go, heck they say you have to replace the main drive belt at 25K and I know some with 100k plus on same belt. I know preventative maintenace doesn't hurt anything except your check book. LOL
    gary

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
    • Casual Rider
    « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • I should have taken the picture of the old filter so you can see; it's black vs. white as the new one is.
    I think it will be better for fuel injection system.

(Saint Augustine)

Offline Ike

• Stopping By
    • Roaming America Rider
    • Bike Year/Model: 2011 E.G Ultra Limited
    « Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • Glad I got the lifetime maintenance on mine, I'll let the dealer take care of it.  its reccomended to be changed at 25k.  It looks simple enough, but with my luck, Id drop a screwdriver on the tank and muck up the paint.   But those are great pics, and I would be willing to attempt it based on your instructions  if I had to do it.

Ike
    "I believe the best social program is a job"

- Ronald Reagan

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
    • Casual Rider
    « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • Thanks Ike!
    It's good that you have the lifetime maintenance.
    I like to do everything by myself as much as possible.  It's just a mental thing; I don't trust the dealer. :)
    I ride long, so make sure I have a thorough work done on my bike.  So far, so good (knock on the tank)!
    Welcome to group, BTW!
    Nick

(Saint Augustine)

Offline Ike

• Stopping By
    • Roaming America Rider
    • Bike Year/Model: 2011 E.G Ultra Limited
    « Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • Nick,
            Its funny, I do all the maintenance on my truck and the wifes car, but for some reason, I dont wanna screw with the bike.   I figure if the dealer jacks it up, they gotta make it right,   Guess I never worried to much about having something go wrong enough to leave me stranded. 

I totally understand your thinkin though, Its the same way I feel about my truck.

Ike
    "I believe the best social program is a job"

- Ronald Reagan

HDvTwinForums On FaceBook

Please "like" us on facebook
    Thanks

* Members' Areas

Hey Guys and Gals!
    Add your location to
    "Member Map"

Biketoberfest 2012  (New) posted by HDfan

Daytona Bike Week 2012
    - Custom Bike Madness - posted by Nomad