nomad
Sep 18, 2010
in Key West Poker Run 2010

DSCN1279
 nomad
Nov 08, 2012
in Camera

I-80 / Exit 130
A bikers' supporter.  Support them please!
 nomad
Aug 24, 2010
in 2010 Sturgis/Crossing Country…

Welcome Guest!

Welcome and thanks for visiting Harley Davidson and V-twin Forums, a dedicated site for all Harley Davidson motorcycle enthusiastic riders,

We are working very hard to bring this site to all riders, who love to ride the world most famous motorcycles:  Harley Davidson!

You will enjoy many selected features that will give you all bells and whistles as in any commercial sites.
Sign up, and upload your photos to your own photo album that is NOT limited size (dimension and file) of your photos as many other commercial forums do. You will see new stunning, high quality photos that re-digitized by our photo album software.  We rule our forum based on our U.S. constitution!

In the meantime,
you are currently viewing our forum in guest mode, which gives you the limited access to many features, such as view attached image, post reply, upload photo to your own photo album, create a poll, send private message (PM) to other members, and many more. Registration is free, and it takes only a minute.
You registration is really appreciated!
Please login, or click here to register.

Author Topic: Same oil for all 3 holes, or different oil?  (Read 4882 times)

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
  • Casual Rider
  • Bike Year/Model: 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
Same oil for all 3 holes, or different oil?
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:32:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • I know HD uses Syn3 for all 3 holes, but is it good enough, because many people have been using different lube for transmission, and so on.
    Any reasons why we should use a heavier lube for transmission would be appreciated.
    2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

The World is a book and for those who do not travel read only a page!
    (Saint Augustine)

Offline steppenwolf

• Casual Rider
    Re: Same oil for all 3 holes, or different oil?
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • I know HD uses Syn3 for all 3 holes, but is it good enough, because many people have been using different lube for transmission, and so on.
    Any reasons why we should use a heavier lube for transmission would be appreciated.

While the bike is under warrenty I would use what ever the manuel says..you don't follow it to the T gives them a way out if something happens.Do they recommend something different when pulling a trailer? You might look into that.
    Don't let the good times pass you by,grab all you can.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_sgQN0cpAw

Offline HippieDave

• Stopping By
    « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:21:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • This has got to be the most asked Q in the world of Harley forums.  I looked into it quite a bit and concluded that it doesn't matter very much what oil you use or whether its synthetic or traditional if you change everything out regularly.   Having said that, I got advice from a guy who I believe really knows his bikes mechanically.  Based on his advice I have switched to:

Engine -- Mobile 1 (or other synthetic) 20W-50 - -change every 5,000 miles
    Primary -- Mobile 1 ( ditto) 75W-90 -- change every 10,000 miles
    Tranny -- Mobile 1 (ditto) 75W-140 -- change every 20,000 miles

This, I believe, is consistent with Harley-Davidson's new change interval specifications.

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
    • Casual Rider
    « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:14:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • Thanks much for the info.
    That's exactly what I have been looking for.  Again, there are many different kinds of oils out there, and I'd like to stick Mobile 1.
    JMHO it is one the best ones, and of course, I have not tried the others, so I have no experience about the other oils.

(Saint Augustine)

Offline FLHX Gunny

• Stopping By
    • Marine Gunny
    • Bike Year/Model: 2010 FLHX Street Glide
    « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:46:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • I used to use Mobil 1 20-50 in all 3 of mine but got turned on to AMSOIL 20-50 not to long ago. Noticed a difference in oil pressure when the bike is hot and the bike seems to run quieter and start easier. The easier starting was a big deal for me, because it seems that the 96ci engines have a weak starter from the factory.

But as for synthetic vs. conventional... I would never put ANY conventional oil in my bike EVER.
    Set in my ways... Michelin Tires, LePera Seats, Kuryakyn Grips, and AMSOIL Lubricants.

Guess you cans say I am stubborn!

Offline nomad

• The Pioneer
    • Casual Rider
    « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:30:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Publish
  • I have been using Mobil1 Vtwin 20-W50 in engine and primary and 75-W90 in tranny for a while.  Everything is working fine, but I have tried to replace the Mobil1 75-W90 to Belray Big Twin in the last 20k and I can tell that shifting is much easier, especially finding neutral.
    Another related to oil temp is the engine went into limp mode in rush hour, but since I installed the Thundermax ECM, there is no more limp mode lately. :)
    Anyway, I think either Mobil1 or Amsoil should be fine, if we change oil regularly.
    Ride safe
    Nick

(Saint Augustine)

HDvTwinForums On FaceBook

Please "like" us on facebook
    Thanks

* Members' Areas

Hey Guys and Gals!
    Add your location to
    "Member Map"

Biketoberfest 2012  (New) posted by HDfan

Daytona Bike Week 2012
    - Custom Bike Madness - posted by Nomad

Free Coupons - (members only).